International Business Administration students share their adventures and experiences at La Salle Campus Barcelona. Not to be missed!

12 December 2013 | Posted by Students of Business and Technology

MUN Project 2013/14: A Head Delegates Perspective!

This year, the Model United Nations project will be studying and working with the Federation States or Micronesia which is a cluster of 607 small islands in the pacific that have a total population of around 111,000 people. The students taking part in the project will be heading to New York next easter to represent their country in front of the MUN head committee. Interviewees: Georgie Stewart & Anne - Marthe Lorck Subject: MUN project 2013/14 Luke: So as head delegates on the MUN committee, what exactly are your responsibilities? What role do you play in the project? and how do you find the work?  Anna: Well our main responsibilities are managing people, making sure everyone knows where they are supposed to be and what they are meant to do. Georgia: We are also responsible for organising fundraising events For example, next week we have the Thanks giving dinner with over 60 students attending. A portion of the money raised from the dinner will go towards our trip to New York next easter. (Other events between now and then?) Luke: And how do you find the workload and preparation for the trip at the moment? Anna: Its been quite difficult so far because there is little information on the country as it is relatively new and quite small. There are very few English written articles or journals that include any useful information on the country, so you have to carry out a lot of extensive research. But once you make a start and gradually build up some information it starts to become easier as you get deeper into the project. Luke: Georgia, you were part of the MUN committee that went to New York last year. What was the experience like for you and what did you gain from it? Georgia: It was awesome! I had so much fun and you can gain a lot from the project and this course. Specifically, I would say that I learned how to negotiate correctly, you learn a lot about other countries and how the United Nations actually operates, in particular Myanmar which was our country last year, and the best part about it was being able to meet people from all over the world as you go about the project. Luke: So did you decide you wanted to be apart of the project again when you got the chance?  Georgia: Well I had to consider it because it requires a lot of work and I wasn't sure I would be able to handle it due to other commitments, but I had enjoyed it so much the year before that I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Luke: And Anna, this is your first time doing the MUN project. How do you feel about going to New York and being a head delegate?  Anna: I am very excited, but I still don’t really know what to expect when I get there. I have a vague picture In my mind but i'm sure it will be great nether the less. Being a head delegate means you take on some greater responsibilities and it is a bit more stressful, but I am glad that people thought I would make a good head delegate so I decided to take that as a compliment and accept the position. But yes I think it will be good experience for me and it will stand out on my curriculum as well. Luke: And what parts of the project do you enjoy the most, and what are you looking forward to the most? Would you do it again next year?  Georgia: Getting to know the country a bit more in depth has been interesting, especially as I knew nothing about it before the project. Anna: Yeah, we made a guide, or a 50 page document, that contained all the most relevant and interesting information on the country that everyone can use. We've also just divided ourselves into the different committees (which include environmental, economics, humanitarian, etc..), and the last two weeks we have just been studying the economy, what they actually do, and looking at the global issues that area arising in that region and how they are affecting the country as a whole. Luke: And finally, can you tell me a bit about what you are preparing for the trip to New York, both for the MUN project and any other various activities that students partake in on the trip?  Georgia: The final preparations can be quite difficult and stressful, especially for head delegates, as there is a lot of last minute running about, making sure all the paper work is done, making sure everyone knows what they have to do. But when your actually there, its just about showing everything that you have learnt, and really just taking everything in and enjoying the experience. When your get there, there are formal sessions, informal sessions, you give out your speeches, and essentially everything leads to you writing a resolution for a certain problem, and then you vote on the draft resolutions and hopefully yours passes. Luke: Im sure its quite a satisfying feeling when the project is completed then? What about any non academic activities when your on the trip, can you do what you want or do you organise group things?  Georgia: Yes it was definitely a relief, there was quite a good party at the end. But yes you can do whatever you like in your free time, but usually the whole group will go out to dinner together and maybe go to some bars after, if your over 21 that is. munny  

Share

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
1 + 6 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.