All about VIRTUALIZATION
Do you really know the meaning of virtualization? What do you think is it, may be a virtual live in which you are the hero of the Earth? may be your hidden nigthlive?
Not at all, its the key of the modern Data Centers: it consist on simulating two or more machines/aplications at the same time in a single machine.
You can use multiple aplications at the same time, save a great amount of money avoiding the duplication of some servers, etc…
WHY THIS NEED?
– Avoid replicating the same aplication in various places
– Posibility of making multiple petitions simultaneously
– Make things faster
– Save costs in equipment & electricity
– Save physical space
WHEN VIRTUALIZE A DATA CENTER
It depends on the application. You have to answer to this questions
1. Can this application be
deployed in a way that it can be virtualized?
2. Does it support clustering or are there tools that help it support
clustering so that each application instance recognizes
If that’s the case, that application is a great candidate
ARE BUSSINESSES IN THE WAY OF VIRTUALIZATION?
Almost enterprises yes, specially the middle-big or bigs enterprises.
In 2007 is thought that only the 15% of enterprises were completly adopted the virtualization model, but in the last years this percentage has been increase
Execepting the smallest enterprises, it is higly recomended to move to virtualization. Anyway, you should ask yourself the following questions
• Is your topology big enough to attend all petitions?
• What is your current environment? Do you have multiple data centers?
• Do you currently multi-home or provision multiple ISP links from different providers?
• Do you have applications that you want or could virtualize?
• Where are your users coming from, the branch offi ce, overseas, or remotely from the road?
If the answers are mainly affirmatives, your data center needs to emigrate to a virtualization technology.