The Viral Video Challenge – Experiencing the Innovation Process at La Salle Barcelona
In Creativity and Innovation class in the 2nd year of the undergraduate business program at La Salle Business Engineering School we jump into the topic of innovation by having the students create a viral video. The goal of this project, co-coordinated by Menno Marien, expert in “Imagiment” and Director of Croosmo, is to take the students through the process from Ideation, to Execution and Prototyping, to Launch. The goals are to have an initial experience with creating something new, confronting constraints like time, money, and materials, and promoting the product in the marketplace. In the second half of the course, we follow a similar process but innovating in a business sector or for a specific company with the goal of creating a new blue ocean. That way the students can compare this relatively simple innovation process with the more complex task that companies face in trying to innovate.
The criteria for the project include the following:
- Duration: max. 3 minutes
- GROUP WORK: 5 people maximum each group
- Each should have a role in the video
- It should have a surprise – the unexpected!
- It should be innovative (different ways of executing)
- Keep it simple, no need for big resources
- Launch it on YouTube
- Get 10,000 views by the end of the course
- Produce a “making of” video to be presented by the end of the course (work on this while you’re filming the video)
This year we’ve had some great quality videos, with one reaching over 50,000 views, and one with 12,000, and 2 more with nearly 10,000. So, without further delay, here they are. Enjoy!
Paul Fox, Asociate Professor and Director of the Master in Digital Entrepreneurship (previously MCNI) at La Salle Barcelona.